Monday 1 October 2012

It's not a poem, it doesn't rhyme

The day after I got the good news from the doctor, I found a few lines that I must have jotted down at some point before my operation. In the interest of science, here they are. I realise there's no actual science involved, but I couldn't quite bring myself to write in the interest of 'poetry'. 

Plus there's no such saying.

Please imagine this scrawled across the page of an eight-year-old notepad (that, interestingly enough, travelled half the globe with me). Blue ink, nib of the pen not quite straight enough to perforate the page, but the pressure I put on it has indented the next few pages. As if to save it for future generations of shopping lists to be compared to.

The dread absorbs me. Envelopes
me. Into its frozen warmth I glide
with the ease of a child into
traffic. I enjoy the feeling. I let
myself wallow in it. Allow it to fill
the holes that have gaped
so emphatically for what seems like
forever. I sit alone and ponder just
how lucky I am. I am. And I will be.
I will be lucky and happy. Impending
happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment